Human Resources COVID-19 FAQS

Please note that due to our ever-changing environment, these FAQs are subject to change and will be updated on a regular basis. These FAQs were last updated on June 8, 2020.

All Human Resources employees have moved to virtual operations effective April 13, 2020. The HR office
will be closed to walk-ins, until further notice, in order to promote social distancing. However, rest
assured that our staff is available to assist and respond to your needs.

For more information about Humboldt’s response to the COVID-19 epidemic visit

Click a question to reveal the answer

Benefits and Leave

  1. Have there been any changes to what is an allowable expense for my Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) related to COVID-19?

    Yes, there have been some changes made to allowable expenses. Please visit Humboldt’s Flexible Spending web page for more details.

  2. How do I review and update my beneficiaries on my Life and AD&D insurance accounts and/or CalPERS retirement account?

    Beneficiary updates must be made directly with the provider.  For Life and AD&D insurance, contact The Standard at 800-378-5745.  For CalPERS, log in to call 888-225-7377. 

  3. What if my child(ren)’s school or day care has closed due to concerns related to COVID-19?

    Employees who show no signs of illness, but report that their child(ren)’s school or day care as closed due to concerns related to COVID-19, may use their available leave credits including the 256 hours of COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave (CPAL) when telecommuting is not an option or cannot be carried out in conjunction with the childcare commitment. 

  4. What leave options do I have related to COVID-19?

    In response to COVID-19, multiple leave options have been enacted to help employees who are affected by the pandemic. The language and provisions differ slightly, but the intent of the programs are the same - to provide paid leave to employees for COVID-19 related reasons. Visit the HR Leave & Disability web page for details.

    If you work for an Auxiliary (SPF, University Center and Associated Students) and have any questions regarding leave options, please contact your Appropriate Administrator or your administrative office.

  5. What other types of leave are available to employees?

    Employees who are not eligible for the COVID-19-related leave as outlined here, have exhausted that leave, or who will be out for medical reasons not related to COVID-19, still have their personal leave available and may have other leave options

    Please contact Benefits in HR at for any questions regarding leave types.

Concerns about Exposure to COVID-19

  1. How can I minimize my risk of contracting COVID-19?

    Employees are encouraged to carefully follow CDC guidelines, as well as national, state and local directives to mitigate their risk of contracting COVID-19. You may also find additional information in the Guidelines for Events, Meetings, and Social Distancing.  

  2. What does it mean to self-quarantine?

    Employees who confirm exposure or contraction of COVID-19 should self-quarantine for a 14-day period. This means the employee should stay at home and limit contact with others. 

  3. What does it mean to self-quarantine?

    The CDC says, "Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Someone in self-quarantine stays separated from others, and they limit movement outside of their home or current place. A person may have been exposed to the virus without knowing it (for example, when traveling or out in the community), or they could have the virus without feeling symptoms. Quarantine helps limit further spread of COVID-19."

  4. What if I need to care for someone at home that is self-quarantining but not officially diagnosed with COVID-19?

    Employees who show no signs of illness, but report the need to care for a family member at home who is in self-quarantine should seek the advice from their healthcare provider and local health officials. Such employees may use their available leave credits include the 256 hours of COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave when telecommuting is not possible. 

  5. What if I need to care for someone at home who has been diagnosed with COVID-19?

    Employees who show no signs of illness, but need to care for a family member at home who is diagnosed with COVID-19, may use their available leave credits including the 256 hours of COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave to cover their period of absence when telecommuting is not an option. If the family member is someone the employee would typically be able to use sick leave for, then the employee may also be eligible for catastrophic leave, NDI, and FMLA at a future time. 

  6. What if I or someone in my household has recently travelled outside of Humboldt County?

    Travel to areas with community level transmission of COVID-19 increases the risk of exposure and transmission to our campus and local community. In the interest of protecting our students, staff, faculty, and local community, and to decrease the likelihood of occupational transmission, Cal Poly Humboldt is directing the following of employees who are working on campus: 

    As of Friday, March 27, if you have returned to the county (flying or driving) after visiting an area with community level spread or you live with someone who has been diagnosed or is suspected to have COVID-19, you must notify your appropriate administrator immediately. It will be necessary for you to self-quarantine at home for 14 days. Your appropriate administrator will work with you to identify if there is any telework available. If someone you live with has traveled and you have not, you must notify Human Resources (HR) at (707) 826-3626 for individual case review. 

  7. What resources are available to me if I think I or a family member at home has either been exposed or contracted COVID-19

    Employees are encouraged to review CDC guidelines regarding what to do if they believe they may be ill with COVID-19, including contacting their health care providers for assessment. 

    Your insurance may provide no-cost services for testing and treatment. The following information is subject to change - you should check your insurance company’s website for the most current information.

    Anthem (Pers Choice, Pers Select, Pers Care, Traditional HMO): All cost-sharing for screening and testing, including hospital/emergency room, urgent care, and provider office visits for the purpose of screening and/or testing for COVID-19 is being waived. You also have access to no-cost online doctor visits using LiveHealth Online.  

    Additional special resources for Anthem members can be found at the Anthem COVID-19 website.

    Blue Shield of California: The costs of COVID-19 tests recommended by a doctor will be covered and out-of-pocket costs (copays, coinsurance, and deductibles) will be waived for for:

    • Doctor visits for screenings
    • Emergency room (ER) or hospital visits for screenings
    • Urgent care visits for screening
    • Through May 31, Blue Shield is covering your costs for Teladoc visits. With Teladoc, you can talk to a doctor 24/7 by phone or video to screen about COVID-19. Learn how Teladoc can help.
    • Via NurseHelp 24/7 you can talk with a registered nurse anytime at no additional cost.
  8. What should I do if I have actually contracted COVID-19?

    Employees should immediately contact their health care provider and health officials and are not to report to campus if working on-site. Such employees may use their available leave credits including the 256 hours of COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave to cover their period of absence. These employees may also apply for catastrophic leave, NDI, and FMLA at a future time. Employees should not return to work until they have received certification, from their health care provider, that it is okay to return. 

  9. What should I do if I think I may have been exposed to COVID-19?

    Employees who show no signs of illness but are concerned about previous exposure (and that exposure is unconfirmed) should speak with their appropriate administrator to discuss telecommuting. Such employees may use their available leave credits including the 256 hours of COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave to cover their period of absence when telecommuting is not an option. 

Employee Relations

  1. What if an essential employee fails to comply with directives from their appropriate administrator?

    In the absence of reasonable safety or legal reasons, employees must follow the directives of their appropriate administrators or they will be considered to be insubordinate. Insubordination may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. 


  1. Do Faculty need to telecommute?

    Faculty began telecommuting and teaching from home no later than Thursday, March 26 (Note: Faculty do not need to submit the telecommuting agreement). TAs who are an instructor of record should follow protocols similar to faculty as far as moving their courses to a virtual format.  They should consult with their department chair and faculty for assistance. Humboldt’s Information Technology Services and Center for Teaching and Learning have been working hard to help the campus switch to alternate modes of instruction. Please consult the Working from Home and  Keep Teaching website for all of the latest information.

General Information

  1. May employees utilize professional development coursework as remote work assignments?

    Employees are allowed to complete any/all required online training as well as other developmental online learning during this time period in which they are working remotely. Employees should communicate with their Appropriate Administrator or immediate supervisor prior to completing non-mandatory online learning. Visit the Humboldt Training website to find a variety of online learning opportunities.

  2. Who do I contact for support?

    Humboldt, Sponsored Program Foundation (SPF), and Associated Student (AS) Employees
    Human Resources
    Email: / Phone: (707) 826-3626 / Fax: (707) 826-3625

    Email: / Phone: (707) 826-4918

    Faculty and Academic Student Employees (Unit 11 ISAs, GAs, and TAs)
    Academic Personnel Services (APS) 
    Email: / Phone: (707) 826-5086

    University Center (UC) Employees
    Email: / Phone: (707) 826-5982

  3. Will I be reimbursed for any incidental costs related to working remotely or telecommuting?

    You will be solely responsible for the configuration of and all of the expenses associated with your telecommuting workspace and all services unless the MBU lead, in consultation with the appropriate service unit (e.g. ITS, HR), expressly agrees otherwise. This includes ensuring and maintaining an ergonomically appropriate and safe telecommuting worksite.

  4. Will I be reimbursed for parking that I have paid for?

    Starting with the May 1 paycheck, monthly payroll deductions for staff and faculty parking permits will be suspended until further notice. 

    Staff and faculty who purchased a Spring parking permit will automatically be refunded 25% of the purchased price. Please allow 2-4 weeks for refunds to be processed. You will receive an email from the Humboldt Cashier’s Office when your refund has been processed.

Mental Health Resources

  1. What resources are available to me to support my mental health?

    Humboldt employees have access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), provided through Humboldt Family Service Center.  They are currently using telehealth for their appointments. 

    Employees also have access to mental health services through their health plans.  The best way to find a provider is to use the "find a doctor" tool on the Anthem website or the Blue Shield website

    Additional special resources for Anthem members can be found at the Anthem COVID-19 website.

    While employees are not eligible to use Humboldt's Student Health and Counseling Services, employees may find the links and resources available on their website helpful. 

    Mental health issues related to COVID-19 may be qualifying events for COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave (CPAL). For more information visit the CPAL webpage.


  1. How do I claim COVID-19 Related Leave in Absence Management?

    For appointed staff utilizing COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave please enter time used by selecting CPAL/FFCRA from the drop down. Then in the comments you must type the following, depending on the type of leave you are using:

    CPAL- Coronavirus Admin Leave
    NTWL- Non Telecommute Workers Leave
    FFCRA-Family First Coronavirus Response Act

    This will also need to be followed up with the request form

    When using the "new" PAL/FFCRA leave type in Self Service, there's a warning message which states that "use of this leave type requires certification".  The message is just a warning; if employees click "OK", they can still submit the leave.

  2. How do I enroll in direct deposit?

    Employees who wish to enroll in the program must complete form STD 699, Direct Deposit Authorization Form. This enrollment form includes the following banking information: 

    • Type of Account (checking or savings)
    • Routing Number (9-digit bank transit number normally located in the bottom left corner of your check)
    • Depositor Account Number 

    In order to ensure that the correct data is entered on the form, you may wish to verify the above information with your financial institution prior to submitting the form to the University Payroll Office. Due to the sensitive nature of this information, please contact regarding delivery. 

    Your personnel/payroll office will verify your form for completeness and send it to the State Controller's Office (SCO) for processing. Once the SCO verifies that you have an active account at your designated financial institution, all payments you receive through the payroll system (e.g., regular pay, overtime, adjustments, etc.) will be made by direct deposit. Be advised, it will take 30 to 45 days for this process.

  3. How do I obtain a copy of my 2019 W-2 and copies of my paycheck stubs?

    As a California State University (CSU) employee, your pay check/direct deposit advice and annual W-2 are issued (hard copy) by the State Controller’s Office (SCO).  These hard copy documents have been the only means made available to you by the SCO as a record of your earnings, until now.

    Cal Poly Humboldt employees now have the opportunity to access this information through Cal Employee  Connect

    The State Controller’s Office (SCO) has produced a tool that will allow employees to view their earnings statements and W-2’s, along with personal information. Cal Employee Connect will ultimately reduce state costs and workload by providing a tool for all state employees to access their information electronically.

    1. Have a recent paper pay stub in hand. It has information you will need that is not available from Payroll; you must be a state-side employee.
    2. Go to Cal Employee Connect Select Register.
    3. Follow the prompts with these helpful tips:
      • Select the Department "CSU - Humboldt"
      • Enter the Agency Code "225"
      • Enter the Earnings Statement Number of the pay stub from step 1. If using the View Paycheck      feature in myHR, this number is referred to as the Warrant #. You will need to enter this number with a leading zero and in the format shown in CEC
      • Enter the Total Deductions on the pay stub from step 1. If using the View Paycheck feature in myHR add “Total Taxes” and “Total Deductions” together to get the deduction total needed for the verification
    4. Once registered, you will be able to login to view and print your earnings statements/paychecks: current tax year and 2 tax years prior and view and print W-2 information: 3 years are available
  4. How do I submit a timesheet if I cannot come onto campus?

    Student and Intermittent hourly employees are being directed to reach out to your department coordinators who will be collecting all hours worked and submitting them to the payroll department per the instructions on our website.

  5. How many hours can I work right now?

    Student Employees may work up to 20 hours per week during school sessions without negatively impacting their financial aid. Contact your appropriate administrator with questions regarding your schedule.

    All other staff work their regular schedule. As usual, employees may not work overtime without approval of their appropriate administrator. 

  6. How should employees enter work time or absences if working remotely?

    Employees should utilize Peoplesoft self-service to record their time worked or absences as normal. The system may be accessed through any computer or mobile app with internet capability. Additionally, an employee’s manager has the authority and ability to enter the employee’s time. 

  7. How will hourly intermittent employees be paid?

    Hourly intermittent employees will only be paid for time worked. These employees are not eligible for COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave. 

  8. How will I get paid for my work if I am an intermittent hourly worker and cannot do my work remotely?

    Intermittent hourly employees who are unable to return to work either in person or remotely will not be paid. 

  9. I can’t come onto campus and I do not have Direct Deposit. How do I get my paycheck?

    For those who are unable to return to campus on check distribution days, the University can mail state paychecks to intended recipients. 

    Please email if you would like your paycheck mailed to you, as we need your authorization. Please include your mailing address in the email and we will verify that against the current address on record in your PeopleSoft Human Resources account.

Recruitment / Hiring / Employee On-Boarding

  1. Are background checks still being processed?

    Background checks ordered through Accurate are being processed, but they are contingent upon the status of the verifying agency. Many background checks have been cancelled due to COVID-19 related agency closures. Please note that despite these cancellations, per the CSU Background Check Policy, background checks should still be completed prior to an appointment being finalized and the candidate beginning work in the new position. Please contact Background Check Coordinator Nicole Log at if a background check is unable to be completed.

  2. Are we allowed to hire new employees at this time?

    COVID-19 has impacted the availability of candidates as well as the employees serving on search committees. As such, Committee Chairs should reach out to their appropriate Vice President to determine whether specific searches are moving forward or are suspended. 

  3. Can employees and student workers complete hiring paperwork through HR without visiting campus?

    Human Resources has moved to virtual operations. HR employees are available from 8am-5pm Monday through Friday to answer all your questions via phone or email. You can make a virtual appointment with us by emailing Please find contact information for all HR employees, and their areas of expertise, by visiting the Human Resources Staff Directory.

  4. How is Humboldt addressing ongoing staff and MPP recruitments?

    The guiding principles for completing recruitments are to provide a fair and equitable search process for all applicants.

    For staff and MPP searches:

    1. All Hiring Authorities should contact their Vice Presidents to determine which recruitments have been deemed “essential” and should continue. All searches deemed “non-essential” should be suspended until further notice and HR will notify any affected applicants.
    2. For searches deemed essential:
      1. Search committees should developan online strategy for virtual interviews (e.g. Zoom) that provide a reasonable facsimile to a live interview for each candidate, while retaining the elements most important to assessing each candidate’s ability to succeed on campus and meet the stated requirements of the position. At no point should the search committee conduct an in-person interview, all interviews should be conducted virtually.If the committee is not confident that the goals above can be accomplished, the search committeeshould discuss with the Hiring Authority and consider extending the search. 
      2. For searches where some candidates have already visited campus and it is necessary to hold the remaining interviews using online strategies, the committee should design a reasonable facsimile to a live interview (see above) for the remaining candidates.

    *For information regarding current faculty recruitments, contact Academic Personnel Services at

  5. Is Live Scan still available at UPD?

    Live Scan services are currently available to campus community members (faculty, staff, students, etc.) through the University Police Department. The live scan form required to complete live scan services can be found on the HR Forms website. In the event that live scans are no longer being provided on-campus, other agencies in Humboldt County may still be providing Live Scan services. Calling the agency ahead of time is recommended. Candidates may be required to pay for the live scan at the time of service, but should work with their hiring departments to arrange reimbursement. Please note that despite these closures, per the CSU Background Check Policy, background checks (including Live Scans, if applicable) should be completed prior to an appointment being finalized and the candidate beginning work in the new position. Please contact Background Check Coordinator Nicole Log at if a live scan is unable to be completed.

Student Employees

  1. I am a student employee. Can I be reassigned on campus to do other work?

    Yes, student employees may be reassigned to a position that has the same funding source. Academic Student Employees (Unit 11 ISAs, GAs, TAs) should continue to perform the work for which they were appointed (or similar work) and at their appointed time base.  They should work closely with their appropriate administrator to determine their responsibilities while telecommuting.  

  2. I am a student employee. Can I keep working?

    Student Employees should continue to perform the work for which they were appointed (or similar work) and at their appointed time base. If their appropriate administrator is not able to transition job functions to telecommuting, students will continue to be paid for their regularly scheduled time. Student employees who are telecommuting should read the guidelines on telecommuting for staff and managers and complete the telecommuting form. 

  3. Should student employees still come in to work?

    Student employees whose work is not essential to critical operations of the campus are to telecommute, at the direction of their appropriate administrator. Please continue to work with your appropriate administrator on your work assignments and technology support needs.

  4. Will student employees continue to be paid?

    Through May 15, 2020, all student employees will continue to be paid for their regularly scheduled time.  For example, if you are scheduled to work every Monday and Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., you will continue to be paid for those hours even if you are unable to come in. Thereafter, student employees are eligible for the temporary COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave. You can find more information on this by following this link.


  1. Can I be reimbursed for using my personal phone, internet and home printer while I work from home?

    Employees are currently not being reimbursed for any incidental costs for working at home. 

  2. Is there training available to help me learn how to work effectively from home?

    Yes! Visit the Training website for online courses and other resources to help you work successfully with your virtual team and maintain your well-being.

  3. What are Humboldt’s telecommuting policies for employees?

    All employees, including student employees, who are telecommuting should review and complete the Temporary Telecommuting Agreement

  4. Who should be telecommuting and what does it require?

    All staff not identified as essential for critical functions on campus should telecommute given the order from the Governor for all California residents to shelter in place. If you have any questions about telecommuting, please contact your appropriate administrator. The ITS website has multiple resources for working from home

Unemployment Insurance

  1. How do I file for Unemployment Insurance?

    Individuals who want to learn more about filing for Unemployment Insurance should visit the EDD website.

Working on Campus

  1. Am I required to wear a face covering if I am on campus?

    Face coverings must be worn by anyone who enters an indoor facility other than their residence, or while outdoors when the person is unable to maintain a six-foot distance from another person at all times, beginning Friday, April 24, per the most recent Humboldt County Public Health Order. View the county order here.

    This applies to anyone making essential trips to the Humboldt campus. 

    For guidance about face coverings and instructions on how to make your own face coverings, visit the CDC website.

    If wearing a face covering while at work would create a safety hazard, please speak directly with your supervisor to discuss accommodation. This guidance does not apply to employees requiring the use of other specific face coverings for their job type.

    Please continue to follow the county’s shelter in place mandate. The best precautions against COVID-19 are still practicing good hand hygiene, keeping all surfaces disinfected, staying at home, and modeling social distancing when doing essential tasks away from home.

  2. Can my appropriate administrator make me come to campus to work?

    Employees who are essential to maintaining critical services on campus must report to campus as required by their appropriate administrator. This limited number of employees will be on campus to ensure business continuity of the critical services. All staff whose work is not essential to maintaining business continuity on campus should telecommute until further notice. 

  3. What is open, when, and for whom?

    This situation is evolving. Please contact departments with which you need to connect directly. Utilize the campus directory to find those with whom you wish to connect. Campus is closed to the general public until further notice. 

  4. What is the campus doing to reduce my risk of contracting COVID-19 while I am required to work on campus?

    The health and safety of all our employees is one of the main priorities during this time. Employees working on campus should continue to use social distancing and hygienic precautions such as washing their hands frequently. The university will work to ensure that employees reporting to campus will have easy access to hand washing facilities and/or hand sanitizer and be able to practice social distancing in their workspace. Please contact your appropriate administrator or any department-specific exposure mitigation measures. For more information please click on the following link: Guidelines on Events, Meetings, and Social Distancing.  

    You can also learn more by taking this COVID-19 Social Distancing Guidelines Course in CSULearn.  

  5. Which employees are NOT allowed to be on campus right now?

    Employees, including students, who are 65 years old or older and/or have an underlying health condition that make them vulnerable to the COVID-19 virus are prohibited from coming onto campus and are strongly advised to self-quarantine during this time. Please visit the Center for Disease Control website for more information regarding underlying health conditions here.

  6. Who can or should be working on campus at this time?

    Only employees who are essential to maintaining critical campus operations should be working on campus. If you are unsure if you need to work on campus, please check with your appropriate administrator.

  7. Will the Humboldt campus remain open?

    Cal Poly Humboldt is open but has transitioned to virtual operations. Campus is closed to the general public, until further notice, as part of social distancing efforts.